Mich. Gov. Wants to Keep Denying Benefits to Same-Sex Couples
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 18 2014 2:49 PM ET
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has asked a federal court to allow the state to continue denying domestic-partner benefits to gays and lesbians who work for state and local governments, reports MLive.com.
In a brief filed Friday, Snyder, a Republican, asked U.S. District Judge David Lawson to uphold the state's ban on benefits for same-sex partners of state and municipal employees, hoping to place a stay on Lawson's 2013 ruling that put the law on hold after five same-sex couples sued, claiming it violated their constitutional rights.
Lawson's June ruling determined that Michigan's Public Act 297, which prevents public employers from providing spousal benefits to same-sex partners, likely violated the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution, and issued a temporary injunction ordering the state to stop enforcing the law, according to MLive.
Snyder's motion for summary judgment, filed by Attorney General Bill Schuette, contends that Public Act 297 is a cost-saving measure for the state.
"Public Act 297 is a logical and cohesive part of the effort to reduce costs and to address the fiscal insecurity of local governments that has increased exponentially over the past five years," the state's attorneys wrote in the motion, according to MLive. "It is not singular and does not target same-sex couples."
But Lawson's June injunctive ruling seemed to reject this argument outright, determining that "a desire to save money cannot possibly be sufficiently important to require the court to abstain from deciding the constitutional issues raised by the plaintiffs. If it were, states could effectively insulate themselves from constitutional review by the federal courts of virtually any law by citing budgetary concerns."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM