WATCH: Florida Lawmaker Warns That School Standards Will Turns Kids Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
May 20 2014 12:31 PM ET
A set of federal educational standards from the Obama administration, called Common Core, will turn your children gay, says a Florida Republican.
Video of Florida State Rep. Charles Van Zant saying that Common Core will "attract every one of your children to become as homosexual as they possibly can" was shared by Think Progress on Monday. In it, Zant tells an elaborate story about the "LGBT agenda." And the head of the Democratic Party in Florida is calling on Governor Rick Scott, who faces an election challenge from former governor Charlie Crist, to rebuke the comments.
“Rick Scott has a duty to all of Florida’s children to make it clear that they can go to school without fear of being bullied," said party chairwoman Allison Tant via a statement in response, according to Creative Loafing. "Rick Scott and the Republican House leadership must condemn these hateful remarks."
The party has started a campaign on Twitter that asks followers to retweet its call for Scott to respond to the comments.
Watch video of what Van Zant said below, distributed by Think Progress, during the “Operation Education Conference” in Orlando in March:
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?