WATCH: Florida Lawmaker Warns That School Standards Will Turns Kids Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
May 20 2014 12:31 PM ET
A set of federal educational standards from the Obama administration, called Common Core, will turn your children gay, says a Florida Republican.
Video of Florida State Rep. Charles Van Zant saying that Common Core will "attract every one of your children to become as homosexual as they possibly can" was shared by Think Progress on Monday. In it, Zant tells an elaborate story about the "LGBT agenda." And the head of the Democratic Party in Florida is calling on Governor Rick Scott, who faces an election challenge from former governor Charlie Crist, to rebuke the comments.
“Rick Scott has a duty to all of Florida’s children to make it clear that they can go to school without fear of being bullied," said party chairwoman Allison Tant via a statement in response, according to Creative Loafing. "Rick Scott and the Republican House leadership must condemn these hateful remarks."
The party has started a campaign on Twitter that asks followers to retweet its call for Scott to respond to the comments.
Watch video of what Van Zant said below, distributed by Think Progress, during the “Operation Education Conference” in Orlando in March:
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- Op-ed: Why We're Going to Win Marriage in Ireland