Paul Ryan Suggests That America Only Values Straight Marriages
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 3:06 PM ET
Mitt Romney's running mate Paul Ryan was asked about his stance on marriage equality at a rally, where he suggests that only heterosexual marriage is an American value.
"The things you talk about like traditional marriage and family and entrepreneurship -- these aren’t values that are indicative to any one person, or race, or creed, or color," Ryan said. "These are American values, these are universal human values."
The question posed to Ryan at the Cincinnati, Ohio town hall was not on the video captured by ThinkProgress. His statement comes shortly after Ryan agreed that "don't ask, don't tell" should not be reinstated, since countless service members have already come out to colleagues since it was repealed a year ago.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 48 min 47 sec ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM