L.A. County Voters Approve Condom Mandate for Adult Films
BY Trudy Ring
November 07 2012 7:10 PM ET
Los Angeles County voters Tuesday approved a measure mandating condom use in the making of adult films within the county.
Advocates who proposed the initiative said it is necessary to protect performers from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. It passed with 55.9% of the vote, the Los Angeles Times reports.
“This is a major referendum on the subject of safer sex,” one of the backers, AIDS Healthcare Foundation president Michael Weinstein, told the Times.
Condom use has been common in gay-porn films since the 1980s, but makers of straight porn have been reluctant to require performers to wear condoms, saying it makes the films less appealing to audiences.
Producers also say performers are tested regularly for STIs and that there is a low incidence of such infections. They say there have been no cases of HIV transmission on straight-porn sets in the past several years; when a performer in L.A. was diagnosed with HIV last year, it turned out to be a false positive. But condom advocates such as Weinstein point out that many other diseases can be transmitted sexually.
Weinstein said advocates will be monitoring county health officials to make sure they enforce the new law.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 33 min 36 sec ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 47 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 49 min 20 sec ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 1 hour 58 min ago
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 2 hours 51 min ago
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 3:32 PM