Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? School Nixes Pro-Gay Speech
BY Trudy Ring
June 15 2012 1:59 PM ET
A New York City fifth-grader who won a class competition with a speech endorsing marriage equality won’t be able to deliver it in the school-wide contest.
The principal of P.S. 195 in Queens said Kameron Slade’s topic is inappropriate and this week told him to choose another one, according to Kameron’s mother, who declined to be identified further, online news channel NY1 reports.
In the speech, which Kameron recited for an NY1 taping, he described spending a day with a lesbian couple who are friends with his mother. “They have a beautiful daughter. ... This family seemed like any other family. They seemed happy, and best of all, they seemed to love each other,” he said. He also said he agrees with President Obama that people should be able to marry the partner of their choice, no matter the gender.
Kameron said he was looking forward to delivering the speech, but he proceeded to work on another one, on the topic of preventing animal cruelty. Officials with the New York City Department of Education declined comment on the principal’s decision but told NY1 that Kameron will be allowed to give the same-sex marriage speech Monday in a different venue.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 3 min 42 sec ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 14 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 32 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 35 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 2 hours 49 min ago