Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? School Nixes Pro-Gay Speech
BY Trudy Ring
June 15 2012 12:59 PM ET
A New York City fifth-grader who won a class competition with a speech endorsing marriage equality won’t be able to deliver it in the school-wide contest.
The principal of P.S. 195 in Queens said Kameron Slade’s topic is inappropriate and this week told him to choose another one, according to Kameron’s mother, who declined to be identified further, online news channel NY1 reports.
In the speech, which Kameron recited for an NY1 taping, he described spending a day with a lesbian couple who are friends with his mother. “They have a beautiful daughter. ... This family seemed like any other family. They seemed happy, and best of all, they seemed to love each other,” he said. He also said he agrees with President Obama that people should be able to marry the partner of their choice, no matter the gender.
Kameron said he was looking forward to delivering the speech, but he proceeded to work on another one, on the topic of preventing animal cruelty. Officials with the New York City Department of Education declined comment on the principal’s decision but told NY1 that Kameron will be allowed to give the same-sex marriage speech Monday in a different venue.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 3 min 51 sec ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM