Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? School Nixes Pro-Gay Speech
BY Trudy Ring
June 15 2012 1:59 PM ET
A New York City fifth-grader who won a class competition with a speech endorsing marriage equality won’t be able to deliver it in the school-wide contest.
The principal of P.S. 195 in Queens said Kameron Slade’s topic is inappropriate and this week told him to choose another one, according to Kameron’s mother, who declined to be identified further, online news channel NY1 reports.
In the speech, which Kameron recited for an NY1 taping, he described spending a day with a lesbian couple who are friends with his mother. “They have a beautiful daughter. ... This family seemed like any other family. They seemed happy, and best of all, they seemed to love each other,” he said. He also said he agrees with President Obama that people should be able to marry the partner of their choice, no matter the gender.
Kameron said he was looking forward to delivering the speech, but he proceeded to work on another one, on the topic of preventing animal cruelty. Officials with the New York City Department of Education declined comment on the principal’s decision but told NY1 that Kameron will be allowed to give the same-sex marriage speech Monday in a different venue.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 38 min 15 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 39 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 39 min 50 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 39 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 53 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 2 hours 11 min ago