Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? School Nixes Pro-Gay Speech
BY Trudy Ring
June 15 2012 1:59 PM ET
A New York City fifth-grader who won a class competition with a speech endorsing marriage equality won’t be able to deliver it in the school-wide contest.
The principal of P.S. 195 in Queens said Kameron Slade’s topic is inappropriate and this week told him to choose another one, according to Kameron’s mother, who declined to be identified further, online news channel NY1 reports.
In the speech, which Kameron recited for an NY1 taping, he described spending a day with a lesbian couple who are friends with his mother. “They have a beautiful daughter. ... This family seemed like any other family. They seemed happy, and best of all, they seemed to love each other,” he said. He also said he agrees with President Obama that people should be able to marry the partner of their choice, no matter the gender.
Kameron said he was looking forward to delivering the speech, but he proceeded to work on another one, on the topic of preventing animal cruelty. Officials with the New York City Department of Education declined comment on the principal’s decision but told NY1 that Kameron will be allowed to give the same-sex marriage speech Monday in a different venue.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 19 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM