Maryland Anti-Marriage Equality Group Deep in Debt
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2012 8:51 PM ET
The group seeking to repeal Maryland’s marriage equality law is $88,000 in debt, and it owes much of that to a signature-gathering firm owned by a state legislator.
Out of that total, the Maryland Marriage Alliance owes $74,000 to MDPetitions.com, owned by Neil Parrott, a Republican member of the House of Delegates, The Baltimore Sun reports. It also owes $5,000 in legal fees and raised just $5,000 in the past month.
Executive director Derek McCoy, however, told the Sun there are some large donations that have yet to be reported, and that the figures in the report reflect only fund-raising for the signature-gathering effort. The group has received other donations “for the general purpose of ‘protecting marriage in Maryland,’” the Sun reports.
Marylanders for Marriage Equality, which is seeking to preserve the law, tweeted that it raised more money in a single day, Tuesday, than its opponents have this month. Gov. Martin O’Malley, who signed the marriage equality law in March, cohosted a benefit for the group Tuesday in Ocean City. Also, an event in Baltimore Sunday brought in about $20,000, according to the Washington Blade.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance has submitted petitions with more than twice the number of signatures needed to put the issue on the November ballot, and the state has found the majority of them valid. Polls indicate, however, that a majority of Marylanders will vote in favor of preserving marriage equality.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM