Maryland Anti-Marriage Equality Group Deep in Debt
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2012 7:51 PM ET
The group seeking to repeal Maryland’s marriage equality law is $88,000 in debt, and it owes much of that to a signature-gathering firm owned by a state legislator.
Out of that total, the Maryland Marriage Alliance owes $74,000 to MDPetitions.com, owned by Neil Parrott, a Republican member of the House of Delegates, The Baltimore Sun reports. It also owes $5,000 in legal fees and raised just $5,000 in the past month.
Executive director Derek McCoy, however, told the Sun there are some large donations that have yet to be reported, and that the figures in the report reflect only fund-raising for the signature-gathering effort. The group has received other donations “for the general purpose of ‘protecting marriage in Maryland,’” the Sun reports.
Marylanders for Marriage Equality, which is seeking to preserve the law, tweeted that it raised more money in a single day, Tuesday, than its opponents have this month. Gov. Martin O’Malley, who signed the marriage equality law in March, cohosted a benefit for the group Tuesday in Ocean City. Also, an event in Baltimore Sunday brought in about $20,000, according to the Washington Blade.
The Maryland Marriage Alliance has submitted petitions with more than twice the number of signatures needed to put the issue on the November ballot, and the state has found the majority of them valid. Polls indicate, however, that a majority of Marylanders will vote in favor of preserving marriage equality.
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 10 Great Graphic Novel Gifts 1 hour 2 min ago
- Parenting Baby Coming? Here Are the Top Baby Names of 2013 1 hour 46 min ago
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 5:30 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Year in Review The Big Ideas of 2013 12:47 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM