Newlyweds Give Same-Sex Couples First Dance at Wedding
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 01 2012 11:15 AM ET
A pair of newlyweds in Indianapolis, Indiana, called attention to marriage inequality on the day of their own legally recognized wedding by reserving the first dance for same-sex couples, reports Truth Wins Out.
Meg Liffick and Joe Ball got married last weekend in Indianapolis, and when it came time for the couple's traditional first dance, Ball read a statement explaining that they wanted to offer the privilege of the first dance to their LGBT attendees who are still legally denied the right to marry.
Best-selling author John Green posted an image on his Tumblr, which has now garnered national attention. "This was a large and very diverse wedding in a state that doesn't even recognize same-sex civil unions, let alone marriage," wrote Green. "And yet the ovation these people received while dancing to the Beach Boys' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' was like nothing I've ever heard at a wedding. If there were dry eyes, I didn't see any. Change is coming."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 41 min 18 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 36 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 52 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM