Zach Wahls: Mr. Romney, My Family Is As Real As Yours
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 7:47 PM ET
Activist Zach Wahls addressed the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, remembering watching the 2004 Republican National Convention.
"I remember politicians talking about protecting marriage from families like mine," he recalled. "Now, supporting a view of marriage as between a man and woman isn't radical. For many people, it's a matter of faith. We respect that. Watching that convention on TV, though I felt confused, frustrated. Why didn't they think my family was a real family?"
Wahls, a 20-year-old student, became an overnight sensation shortly after addressing Iowa lawmakers, seeking to limit marriage equality rights for same-sex couples like his two mothers Jackie and Terry. Wahls said that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney continue the rhetoric.
"Governor Romney says he's against same-sex marriage because every child deserves a mother and a father," Wahls said. "I think every child deserves a family as loving and committed as mine. Because the sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us; that's what makes a family. Mr. Romney, my family is just as real as yours."
Read the full speech on the next page.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 26 min 48 sec ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM