Justice Department Asks Supreme Court to Prioritize Edie Windsor Case
BY Trudy Ring
October 26 2012 11:06 PM ET
The Department of Justice Friday asked the Supreme Court to prioritize New York lesbian widow Edie Windsor’s case among those the court has been asked to hear challenging the Defense of Marriage Act.
Windsor is challenging DOMA, which prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriages, because of the estate tax she was forced to pay when her wife died. If she had been married to a man, she would not have owed the tax.
U.S. solicitor general Donald Verrilli filed a brief with the court Friday, saying the Windsor case should take precedence among the DOMA cases under consideration, the Washington Blade reports. A federal appeals court recently heard Windsor’s case and found DOMA unconstitutional, and also that heightened judicial scrutiny should apply to laws that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
“The application of heightened scrutiny is suggested in the Justice Department [brief] as the reason why the Windsor case should take precedence, although it’s not explicitly stated,” the Blade reports.
Windsor issued a statement saying she is pleased with the DOJ’s action. “It has been a long journey up to this point, and I remain hopeful that I will be alive to see the day soon when justice is done for me and for all other married gay and lesbian couples,” she said.
The court is not expected to announce which DOMA challenge it will hear until after the election.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 12 min 31 sec ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 15 min 54 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 41 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 36 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 52 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 5:00 PM
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM