Justice Department Asks Supreme Court to Prioritize Edie Windsor Case
BY Trudy Ring
October 26 2012 10:06 PM ET
The Department of Justice Friday asked the Supreme Court to prioritize New York lesbian widow Edie Windsor’s case among those the court has been asked to hear challenging the Defense of Marriage Act.
Windsor is challenging DOMA, which prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriages, because of the estate tax she was forced to pay when her wife died. If she had been married to a man, she would not have owed the tax.
U.S. solicitor general Donald Verrilli filed a brief with the court Friday, saying the Windsor case should take precedence among the DOMA cases under consideration, the Washington Blade reports. A federal appeals court recently heard Windsor’s case and found DOMA unconstitutional, and also that heightened judicial scrutiny should apply to laws that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
“The application of heightened scrutiny is suggested in the Justice Department [brief] as the reason why the Windsor case should take precedence, although it’s not explicitly stated,” the Blade reports.
Windsor issued a statement saying she is pleased with the DOJ’s action. “It has been a long journey up to this point, and I remain hopeful that I will be alive to see the day soon when justice is done for me and for all other married gay and lesbian couples,” she said.
The court is not expected to announce which DOMA challenge it will hear until after the election.
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 15 min 21 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM