Supreme Court Pushes Date of Prop. 8 Announcement
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 3:42 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court has pushed the date of the announcement on whether it will take on the case challenging California's Proposition 8, known as Hollingsworth v. Perry.
The court was supposed to announce November 20 whether it would take the case, but the date has been pushed to November 30.
Hollingsworth v. Perry has been submitted to the justices along with a handful of other cases challenging the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and other legal hindrances to marriage equality. A federal district court found Proposition 8 unconstitutional in 2010, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld that decision in February 2012. In July, the case was submitted to the Supreme Court.
According to Americans for Equal Rights, which is shepherding the case, "Should the Court grant review, the justices will go on to consider whether Proposition 8 violates the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. If the Court denies review, the February 2012 decision of the United States court of appeals for the ninth circuit that struck down Proposition 8 is made permanent, ending four years of marriage inequality in California."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 19 min 26 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 50 min 57 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 56 min 37 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 57 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 11 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 32 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM