Supreme Court Pushes Date of Prop. 8 Announcement
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 2:42 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court has pushed the date of the announcement on whether it will take on the case challenging California's Proposition 8, known as Hollingsworth v. Perry.
The court was supposed to announce November 20 whether it would take the case, but the date has been pushed to November 30.
Hollingsworth v. Perry has been submitted to the justices along with a handful of other cases challenging the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and other legal hindrances to marriage equality. A federal district court found Proposition 8 unconstitutional in 2010, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld that decision in February 2012. In July, the case was submitted to the Supreme Court.
According to Americans for Equal Rights, which is shepherding the case, "Should the Court grant review, the justices will go on to consider whether Proposition 8 violates the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. If the Court denies review, the February 2012 decision of the United States court of appeals for the ninth circuit that struck down Proposition 8 is made permanent, ending four years of marriage inequality in California."
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 24 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 58 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 2 hours 46 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM