Supreme Court Pushes Date of Prop. 8 Announcement
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 3:42 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court has pushed the date of the announcement on whether it will take on the case challenging California's Proposition 8, known as Hollingsworth v. Perry.
The court was supposed to announce November 20 whether it would take the case, but the date has been pushed to November 30.
Hollingsworth v. Perry has been submitted to the justices along with a handful of other cases challenging the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act and other legal hindrances to marriage equality. A federal district court found Proposition 8 unconstitutional in 2010, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld that decision in February 2012. In July, the case was submitted to the Supreme Court.
According to Americans for Equal Rights, which is shepherding the case, "Should the Court grant review, the justices will go on to consider whether Proposition 8 violates the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. If the Court denies review, the February 2012 decision of the United States court of appeals for the ninth circuit that struck down Proposition 8 is made permanent, ending four years of marriage inequality in California."
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 17 min 12 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 11 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM