Maine Marriage Equality Law to Take Effect December 29
BY Julie Bolcer
December 03 2012 12:43 PM ET
Same-sex couples will be legally able to marry in Maine on December 29, following certification of this month’s referendum results.
Governor Paul LePage signed off on the certified results from the Secretary of State this past Thursday, November 29. The new law takes effect 30 days from that date, according to an announcement from Equality Maine and Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.
Maine became the first state where voters approved a referendum initiated by marriage equality advocates. Voters overturned same-sex marriage legislation in 2009, but this year, the measure won 53% to 47%.
The new law will allow non-resident couples to marry in Maine, and require the state to recognize marriages of same-sex couples that are valid in other jurisdiction. GLAD has more information.
Same-sex couples will soon be able to marry in nine states and jurisdictions. A new law in Washington takes effect this Wednesday, and the Maryland law goes into effect on January 1, 2013. Both states joined Maine in being the first where voters approved marriage equality at the ballot box.
The federal government does not recognize same-sex marriages because of the Defense of Marriage Act. The 1996 law is pending review by the Supreme Court, while legislation has also been introduced in Congress to repeal the law.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM