R.I. Marriage Equality Bill to be Introduced Thursday
BY Trudy Ring
January 01 2013 8:28 PM ET
A marriage equality bill will be introduced in the Rhode Island legislature Thursday, the Providence Journal reports.
State representative Arthur Handy, the bill’s sponsor, said he will need Wednesday to recruit cosponsors, who will include openly gay House speaker Gordon Fox.
Rhode Island legislators have previously abandoned efforts to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples because of insufficient support. The state has had civil unions since 2011, and it recognizes out-of-state same-sex marriages. But it remains the only New England state without marriage equality.
Handy said the bill will address religious groups’ concerns, making clear that no church would have to perform marriages that go against its beliefs.
The 2012 election results increased the number of marriage equality supporters in the legislature, helping the bill’s chance of passage. Gov. Lincoln Chafee is also a supporter.
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Herndon Graddick Resigns as President of GLAAD
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM