R.I. Marriage Equality Bill to be Introduced Thursday
BY Trudy Ring
January 01 2013 7:28 PM ET
A marriage equality bill will be introduced in the Rhode Island legislature Thursday, the Providence Journal reports.
State representative Arthur Handy, the bill’s sponsor, said he will need Wednesday to recruit cosponsors, who will include openly gay House speaker Gordon Fox.
Rhode Island legislators have previously abandoned efforts to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples because of insufficient support. The state has had civil unions since 2011, and it recognizes out-of-state same-sex marriages. But it remains the only New England state without marriage equality.
Handy said the bill will address religious groups’ concerns, making clear that no church would have to perform marriages that go against its beliefs.
The 2012 election results increased the number of marriage equality supporters in the legislature, helping the bill’s chance of passage. Gov. Lincoln Chafee is also a supporter.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 48 min 13 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 32 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 48 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM