Poll: Marriage Equality Is Imminent
BY Michelle Garcia
February 19 2013 7:25 PM ET
Three-quarters of voters say that the right to marriage is a constitutional right, and 83% say they believe marriage equality will become legal in the U.S. within the next decade.
According to a poll of 800 participants by the Anzalone Liszt Grove Research, the support for marriage equality, or at least relationship recognition, is becoming an increasingly bipartisan issue. Sixty-two percent of voters believe that legalizing marriage will not have much impact on most people's lives.
Another poll released Tuesday, through the Center for American Progress, shows that 52% registered voters participating in the poll favored legalizing full marriage equality for same-sex couples. Furthermore, 62% agreed that it is discrimination for the federal government to deny marriage protections and the benefit to legally married same-sex couples. Figures from that poll also show that support for marriage equality is rising among groups of people of color. Sixty-five percent of black people and 61% of Latinos say they oppose Section 3 of DOMA, which bars the federal government from recognizing marriages of legally wed same-sex couples.
"In 2013 registered voters have reached a tipping point, in which a majority (52 percent) favors allowing marriage for same-sex couples," said Amy Simon, a partner at Goodwin Simon Strategic Research, who fielded the poll. "However, an even larger portion—almost 6 in 10 respondents—oppose DOMA’s requirement that the federal government discriminate against those same-six couples who are legally married by denying their marriage’s recognition."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 1 hour 24 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 1 hour 50 min ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM