Poll: Marriage Equality Is Imminent
BY Michelle Garcia
February 19 2013 7:25 PM ET
Three-quarters of voters say that the right to marriage is a constitutional right, and 83% say they believe marriage equality will become legal in the U.S. within the next decade.
According to a poll of 800 participants by the Anzalone Liszt Grove Research, the support for marriage equality, or at least relationship recognition, is becoming an increasingly bipartisan issue. Sixty-two percent of voters believe that legalizing marriage will not have much impact on most people's lives.
Another poll released Tuesday, through the Center for American Progress, shows that 52% registered voters participating in the poll favored legalizing full marriage equality for same-sex couples. Furthermore, 62% agreed that it is discrimination for the federal government to deny marriage protections and the benefit to legally married same-sex couples. Figures from that poll also show that support for marriage equality is rising among groups of people of color. Sixty-five percent of black people and 61% of Latinos say they oppose Section 3 of DOMA, which bars the federal government from recognizing marriages of legally wed same-sex couples.
"In 2013 registered voters have reached a tipping point, in which a majority (52 percent) favors allowing marriage for same-sex couples," said Amy Simon, a partner at Goodwin Simon Strategic Research, who fielded the poll. "However, an even larger portion—almost 6 in 10 respondents—oppose DOMA’s requirement that the federal government discriminate against those same-six couples who are legally married by denying their marriage’s recognition."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 13 min 20 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 15 min 51 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 28 min 25 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 32 min 12 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 34 min 6 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 20 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 35 min ago