Colorado Civil Unions Headed to House Floor
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 08 2013 7:06 PM ET
The Colorado House Appropriations Committee today passed Senate Bill 11, which would establish civil unions, by a bipartisan vote of 9-4, reports ThinkProgress.
Rep. Cheri Gerou, the bill's only Republican sponsor in the House, joined all of the committee's democrats in voting to move the bill forward for a vote by the full House.
Speaker of the House Rep. Mark Ferrandino, a gay Denver Democrat and cosponsor of the bill, expects the bill to pass the Democrat-controlled chamber.
"There are families throughout Colorado, including my own, who are living the same as any family but lack the legal safeguards and recognition afforded to everyone else," Speaker Mark Ferrandino said today in a statement. "These committed couples want civil unions to uphold the values we all hold dear: commitment to others, stability, responsibility, and, most importantly, family."
Governor John Hickenlooper, also a Democrat, has promised to sign the legislation, and supporters say LGBT couples in Colorado could enter into civil unions as early as May 1.
“We applaud the members of the House Appropriations Committee who voted to affirm that all families are worthy of respect. We look forward to bipartisan passage on the floor of the House,” said LGBT advocacy group One Colorado Executive Director Brad Clark in a statement.
This year marks the third time LGBT supporters have brought civil unions legislation before the legislature. Last year, the bill passed the Senate and two House committees with bipartisan support, but Republican leadership refused to allow the bill to come to a floor vote in a dramatic procedural move that shut down the legislature on the last day of the session.
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 25 min 40 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 44 min 50 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 52 min 2 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 16 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 30 min ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 2 hours 4 min ago