Catholic Leaders Denounce R.I. Marriage Equality Law
BY Trudy Ring
May 06 2013 6:15 AM ET
San Francisco Roman Catholic archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Subcommittee for the Promotion and Defense of Marriage, has written a denunciation of the new Rhode Island marriage equality law on the conference’s website.
“The meaning of marriage cannot be redefined, because its meaning lies in our very nature,” he wrote in a Friday post. “Therefore, regardless of what law is enacted, marriage remains the union of one man and one woman — by the very design of nature, it cannot be otherwise.” He also called marriage equality “a serious injustice” and said the acceptance of anything other than heterosexual marriage endangers children, “the most vulnerable among us.” Society must preserve “in the law the principle that every child deserves a mother and father united in marriage.”
Gov. Lincoln Chafee signed the Rhode Island marriage equality bill into law Thursday, making the state the 10th, plus the District of Columbia, with equal marriage rights for both gay and straight couples. There was criticism of the measure from Catholic leaders within Rhode Island too, with Bishop of Providence Thomas Tobin publishing an open letter on his diocese’s website Thursday advising Catholics not to attend same-sex weddings.
Because ‘same-sex marriages’ are clearly contrary to God’s plan for the human family, and therefore objectively sinful, Catholics should examine their consciences very carefully before deciding whether or not to endorse same-sex relationships or attend same-sex ceremonies, realizing that to do so might harm their relationship with God and cause significant scandal to others,” Tobin wrote.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 10 min 5 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 43 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 46 min 46 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 57 min 17 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 58 min 40 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 9 min ago