Ill. GOP Chairman Shown Door After Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
May 07 2013 11:08 AM ET
The Republican elite of blue state Illinois are still not comfortable with same-sex marriage, dumping the state chairman of their party after he advocated for marriage equality.
When Illinois was debating marriage equality in January, Pat Brady made phone calls to state party members encouraging their support (the legislation is still pending). Brady later said he was not lobbying on behalf of the Republican party, but doing so as a citizen. As the state party's platform still designates opposition to marriage equality, GOP elite were not pleased.
Brady, from St. Clair in the southwest part of the state, outlived efforts to oust him earlier in the year. But at a meeting last month, party leaders drew up a succession plan and made clear to Brady that his three-year tenure was coming to an end. In his resignation letter, Brady thanked Mark Kirk, the GOP senator who succeeded the Senate seat vacated by President Obama.
The Illinois GOP party suffered major losses in 2012, handing veto-proof majorities to Democrats in the state house and senate. Illinois also has a Democratic governor, Pat Quinn. Brady had tried to push his party to be more inclusive to turn things around.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: It's Time To End 'Swiss Cheese' Equality
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 6 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 11 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 26 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM