SUPREME COURT: Wednesday Is Decision Day
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 25 2013 9:37 AM ET
The Supreme Court will wait until the final day of its 2013 term — Wednesday, June 26 — to rule on two landmark cases relating to marriage equality.
The Court did not issue rulings today in either Hollingsworth v. Perry, the Proposition 8 case, or U.S. v. Windsor, the case challenging the constitutionality of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
After announcing today's rulings, Chief Justice John Roberts said Wednesday at 10 a.m. would be the last day and all the remaining opinions will be released, according to live coverage at SCOTUSBlog.
The Court has yet to rule on three cases — Perry, Windsor, and Sekhar v. U.S., a case involving the admissibility of legal advice from an attorney. Since today had been the last scheduled day on the Court's calendar, it scheduled one last day to announce decisions.
The Court did rule on the Voting Rights Act, however, in a case called Shelby County v. Holder. In a decision written by Roberts, the Court held that section 4 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional, since it uses an outdated formula to determine which states with racist histories are required to submit to federal approval before changing their voting provisions. According to SCOTUSBlog, however, "The Court makes clear that: 'Our decision in no way affects the permanent, nationwide ban on racial discrimination in voting found in [Section] 2. We issue no holding on [Section] 5 itself, only on the coverage formula. Congress may draft another formula based on current conditions.' "
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 42 min 1 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 8 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 34 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM