WATCH: Retired Roman Catholic Priest Weds Gay N.J. Couples; He'll Marry Partner Too
BY Trudy Ring
October 21 2013 2:31 PM ET
The Roman Catholic Church may not accept same-sex marriage, but one of its retired priests was happy to perform ceremonies for gay and lesbian couples in Asbury Park, N.J., as marriage equality became law in the state today. And he intends to marry his same-sex partner as well.
The Rev. Tom Pivinski, who now works with an Episcopal church in Asbury Park, officiated vows for three couples on the steps of the Paramount Theater in the beach community shortly after midnight, the Asbury Park Press reports. One of the couples he wed, Karen Nicholson-McFadden and Marcye Nicholson-McFadden, were plaintiffs in the lawsuit that led to marriage equality in New Jersey. He also performed a joint ceremony for City Council member Amy Quinn and her partner, Heather Jensen, and for Steven Brunner and Daniel Baum.
“I think it’s wonderful,” Pivinski told the Press. “I am just very grateful that the state has recognized the equality of all people.” Pivinski and his longtime partner, Malcolm Navias, applied for a license Friday with the intention of marrying today, according to another local news outlet, the Asbury Park Sun.
Same-sex marriages became possible in New Jersey after the state Supreme Court Friday refused to delay a lower court judge’s ruling that such marriages should begin today. The court was to hear Gov. Chris Christie’s appeal of the ruling in January, but this morning Christie dropped the appeal.
Watch video of the first Asbury Park ceremonies below.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 13 min 40 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 30 min 15 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 48 min 15 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 50 min 22 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 13 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 54 min ago