Ill. Gov Will Sign Marriage Equality Bill November 20
BY Trudy Ring
November 07 2013 8:46 PM ET
Illinois governor Pat Quinn plans to give LGBT residents a little something extra to be grateful for this Thanksgiving — he’s set November 20, eight days before the holiday, as the date he’ll sign the state’s marriage equality bill, which the legislature passed this week.
Quinn announced today that he’ll sign the bill into law at the UIC Forum, a large meeting hall on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago, Windy City Times reports. “I look forward to signing this landmark legislation on November 20 and celebrating a big step forward with the people of Illinois,” he said in a prepared statement. The signing ceremony will be at 3:30 p.m.
However, some activists would like for there to be at least one other signing ceremony in another part of the state, emphasizing that the effort to pass the bill was a statewide one. “I really urge those planning the marriage bill signing ceremony not to make it just in Chicago,” Tracy Baim, publisher of Windy City Times and founder and cochair of last month’s March on Springfield for Marriage Equality, said in the paper’s story. “We worked so very hard on the March on Springfield to make this a statewide effort. Let’s make the signing one too.”
To register to attend the November 20 ceremony, click here. The event is free and open to the public.
The law will go into effect June 1.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM