PHOTOS: We're Getting Married in Oregon
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 20 2014 1:20 PM ET
After years of campaigning and lawsuits that made their way to federal courts, U.S. District Court Judge Michael McShane ruled Monday that denying Oregon same-sex couples the right to marry is unconstitutional. With the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals denying a motion to stay the decision, gay and lesbian couples from Portland to Pendleton to Klamath Falls are exercising their right to marry. Here are some photos of couples ready to make the leap:
Certificate in hand and ready to wed.
The plaintiff couples and legal team challenging Oregon's marriage ban celebrate together after a federal judge denied the antigay National Organization for Marriage's motion to intervene earlier this month. With Lake James Perriguey, Jeana Frazzini, Misha Isaak, Deanna and Janine Geiger-Nelson, and Ben West.
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees
- Op-ed: How The Way He Looks Will Open Your Eyes
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Jennifer Knapp: Christian, Lesbian, and Free