War of Words Between Michael Musto, GOProud
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 7:08 PM ET
Village Voice columnist Michael Musto let the folks at GOProud know just how he felt about gay Republicans, and the group had a sharp response.
Musto took umbrage with the group narrowly endorsing Mitt Romney for president. Romney does not support marriage equality and has mostly disavowed previous support for LGBT rights.
"I always thought that any gay who backs a candidate that doesn't support equal rights must have some very scary death wish," Mustro wrote on Monday. "It's self-defeating and downright creepy!"
The New York fixture compared the gay Republican group to Jewish Nazis and black Klanmembers, i.e. self-hating minorities with wrong priorities. GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia quickly responded, writing, "Have you seen Michael Musto lately? We aren't going to take serious political advice from a human Muppet. Musto should stick to writing gossip pieces about Lindsay Lohan and leave politics to the professionals."
Read Musto's response to that here.
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 47 min 51 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 51 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 21 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 40 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 47 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 2 hours 12 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 26 min ago