War of Words Between Michael Musto, GOProud
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 7:08 PM ET
Village Voice columnist Michael Musto let the folks at GOProud know just how he felt about gay Republicans, and the group had a sharp response.
Musto took umbrage with the group narrowly endorsing Mitt Romney for president. Romney does not support marriage equality and has mostly disavowed previous support for LGBT rights.
"I always thought that any gay who backs a candidate that doesn't support equal rights must have some very scary death wish," Mustro wrote on Monday. "It's self-defeating and downright creepy!"
The New York fixture compared the gay Republican group to Jewish Nazis and black Klanmembers, i.e. self-hating minorities with wrong priorities. GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia quickly responded, writing, "Have you seen Michael Musto lately? We aren't going to take serious political advice from a human Muppet. Musto should stick to writing gossip pieces about Lindsay Lohan and leave politics to the professionals."
Read Musto's response to that here.
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Let's Not Report on Michael Sam's Showering Habits