War of Words Between Michael Musto, GOProud
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 7:08 PM ET
Village Voice columnist Michael Musto let the folks at GOProud know just how he felt about gay Republicans, and the group had a sharp response.
Musto took umbrage with the group narrowly endorsing Mitt Romney for president. Romney does not support marriage equality and has mostly disavowed previous support for LGBT rights.
"I always thought that any gay who backs a candidate that doesn't support equal rights must have some very scary death wish," Mustro wrote on Monday. "It's self-defeating and downright creepy!"
The New York fixture compared the gay Republican group to Jewish Nazis and black Klanmembers, i.e. self-hating minorities with wrong priorities. GOProud executive director Jimmy LaSalvia quickly responded, writing, "Have you seen Michael Musto lately? We aren't going to take serious political advice from a human Muppet. Musto should stick to writing gossip pieces about Lindsay Lohan and leave politics to the professionals."
Read Musto's response to that here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 16 min 22 sec ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 52 min 28 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM