Former Events Manager of The Advocate and Out Dies
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2012 1:09 AM ET
Chip Stevenson, a longtime employee of The Advocate, Out, and The Out Traveler, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment Wednesday. He was 42.
Stevenson started at LPI Media (then owners of the publications) in 2002 as a promotions manager, and was promoted to senior director of event marketing. He left the company in 2008 to start Big Daddy Productions, his event management agency that was active until his death. He was also the events and marketing director for Out Professionals.
Though short of stature, Stevenson had a big personality, and he was a fixture in his Chelsea neighborhood. He was active in Toys for Tots, a charity program that collected new toys to distribute as Christmas gifts to needy children.
“Chip was an amazing man, truly talented in bringing people together in a celebratory way,” says Here Media executive vice president Joe Landry. “I will deeply miss his talent, wit, and most of all his friendship.”
"Chip was a loyal colleague and devoted friend,” says Here Media group publisher Joe Valentino. “He took great pride in all of his efforts. He always had a smile on his face and was a pleasure to know. He maintained dignity and kindness in all of his dealings and interactions. He will be missed and lives on in our hearts forever."
Stevenson was born in Plainview, N.Y. The cause of death was an accidental fall in his apartment. He will be interred at Pinelawn Memorial Park in Farmingdale, N.Y.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 42 min 9 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 31 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM