Pam Spaulding Announces Closure of LGBT Blog Pam's House Blend
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 17 2013 2:47 PM ET
After nine years of reporting on the LGBT community from the perspective of an out woman of color living in North Carolina, Pam Spaulding announced today that she will discontinue her blog Pam's House Blend July 1.
Spaulding is a veteran activist and prolific blogger whose Blend received numerous awards for powerful, in-depth reporting and commentary, often highlighting intersections of the fights for LGBT and racial equality.
"All good things must come to an end, even after numerous awards and accolades, it’s time to acknowledge that I cannot continue to run on fumes alone," writes Spaulding. "If I cannot produce material at the frequency or with the same level of quality, enthusiasm and effectiveness, it’s really time to close the doors to this coffeehouse — and work to ensure it continues to have a life as an archive, a snapshot in our digital political history."
In a matter-of-fact post with just a hint of sadness, Spaulding cited her ongoing health struggles with chronic pain conditions and rheumatoid arthritis eating into her energy and ability to carry on as the Blend's primary content producer, in addition to her full-time "offline" job.
Reflecting on the impact of citizen-run blogs like hers in the mainstream media and even on beltway Washington politics, Spaulding offered a brief retrospective.
"I brought the perspective of a black lesbian living in the South to the dialogue — broadcasting a voice certainly not represented in the power structure of the LGBT movement," explains Spaulding. "It was the first major blog to feature a transgender contributor, and it was important to me to bring talent to the blog from under-represented regions and voices."
Starting July 1, Pam's House Blend will be converted to archives, and Blend contributors Autumn Sandeen, Alvin McEwen, and Laurel Ramseyer will continue to write for the Blend's parent site, FireDogLake, which began hosting the Blend in 2012.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 32 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 19 min 6 sec ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 35 min 48 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 37 min 35 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 38 min 45 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 1 hour 9 min ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 39 min ago