Fox News Anchor Apologizes for 'Ignorant' Joke About Gender Identity
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
March 04 2014 9:37 PM ET
Clayton Morris cleared the air on Fox & Friends over the weekend, apologizing for an offensive comment he made in a Valentine's Day segment. While discussing Facebook's new gender options, Morris jokingly told cohost Elisabeth Hasselbeck he had changed his gender to "intersex." Tucker Carlson, who also cohosts the show, later mocked the term as well, dismissively stating, "intersex, whatever that means."
Among those who criticized the statements was a group of intersex youth, Inter/Act, who published an open letter to Fox and the world, explaining what "intersex" actually means.
On Saturday, Morris told viewers he regretted the "offhanded comment."
"Look, I made a pretty ignorant statement a few weeks ago," he said. "We were talking about the Facebook story, where they added a bunch of different gender-identifying things. And I made sort of an offhanded comment and I regretted it later because now, 'Wait a second. There are people who are actually dealing with this and I’m an idiot for saying something stupid like that.'"
He concluded, "Before you open your mouth, just think about it a little bit."
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People