AWOL Transgender Woman Discharged From Marines After 31 Years
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 6:18 PM ET
A transgender woman who went AWOL from the Marines 31 years ago will be issued a discharge with honorable conditions from the military.
Elizabeth Tremblay entered the Marines in 1980 after learning she would be be trained in teletype communications, according to Maine's Lewiston-Auburn Sun Journal. A year later, after her duties changed to driving Jeeps and trucks, she decided to leave without being properly discharged or granted leave.
Tremblay returned to her home in Maine to work at L.L. Bean and Bates of Maine. In the 1990s she began taking hormones, changed her name to Elizabeth from Donald, and underwent partial gender transition surgery. In 2001, Tremblay suffered a back injury in a car crash, and she has collected disability insurance ever since.
A warrant for Tremblay, charging desertion, was discovered by the Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office last September. She was arrested and held in a jail for two and a half days. She has since awaited further punishment from the military, only to find she will just be discharged.
And though Tremblay enlisted in 1980 as Donald, her new discharge papers use her name Elizabeth Marie Tremblay.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM