Proposed Bill Seeks to 'Restore Honor' to Gay Veterans
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 25 2013 5:35 PM ET
U.S. Representative Mark Pocan (D-WI), who is openly gay, introduced legislation today that would erase “dishonorable” from the records of thousands of discharged gay and lesbian soldiers.
The “Restore Honor to Service Members Act,” would affect nearly 114,000 service members that were discharged for their sexual orientation before the 2011 repeal of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.” For this group, the stigma of “dishonorable” not only decreases employment opportunities, but also prevents access to veteran benefits like health care, and disability, as well as the right to reenlist, or be buried in a military cemetery.
Pocan introduced the act along with Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) and 100 bipartisan cosponsors.
“For too long, tens of thousands of men and women who selflessly risked their lives for our country have lived with the dishonorable records that came from the unjust ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ policy,” said Pocan, co-chair of the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus. “But the support we have received for our legislation demonstrates the country’s strong desire to close the book on ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ and rightfully recognize the service of all of our courageous service members. I look forward to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to move forward with this effort and restore honor to all of our brave veterans.”
The act, which would also remove mention of sexual orientation from a soldier’s discharge record, was applauded by representatives from LGBT rights groups, including Allison Herwitt, Legislative Director of Human Rights Campaign, who called it “a tremendous first step in achieving equality in our nation’s Armed Forces.”
“It is important that we continue to address the discrimination that LGBT veterans face by updating their service records to reflect the reality of their service” said Herwitt. “We are thankful that Reps. Pocan and Rangel have addressed this issue with the ‘Restore Honor to Service Members Act.’"
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 17 min 13 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM