Ala. Chief Justice Candidate: Gay Marriage Will Destroy Nation
BY Neal Broverman
October 06 2012 5:56 PM ET
Roy Moore, fired from his job as Alabama's most powerful judge in 2003, is scapegoating gays in an effort to get his old job back.
Running to once again be the chief justice of Alabama's supreme court, Moore told a group of Tea Party supporters on Saturday that "same-sex marriage will lead to the ultimate destruction of our country" (no explanation on why that hasn't already happened since marriage equality is legal in six states and Washington, D.C.). His statement received applause. Moore also denigrated the Democratic party for supporting LGBT rights.
Moore is remembered for being booted from the state supreme court nine years ago after refusing to remove a monument to the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building. Moore doesn't seem to understand the concept of church and state separation, repeatedly telling his Tea Party supporters how important God is to government.
"Today we've got to go back to that U.S. Constitution," he said. "We've got to go back to the acknowledgment of God for very basic, relative reasons. People have forgotten why we need God. But let me tell you, without God, you have no rights."
Moore is running against Democrat Robert Vance, Jr. Read more here.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 17 sec ago
- World News Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95 18 min 46 sec ago
- Women Toni Braxton's Dream Role Is to Play Lesbian on Orange Is the New Black 19 min 56 sec ago
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 50 min 15 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 1 hour 21 min ago
- News New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action 1 hour 52 min ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 54 min ago