Ala. Chief Justice Candidate: Gay Marriage Will Destroy Nation
BY Neal Broverman
October 06 2012 6:56 PM ET
Roy Moore, fired from his job as Alabama's most powerful judge in 2003, is scapegoating gays in an effort to get his old job back.
Running to once again be the chief justice of Alabama's supreme court, Moore told a group of Tea Party supporters on Saturday that "same-sex marriage will lead to the ultimate destruction of our country" (no explanation on why that hasn't already happened since marriage equality is legal in six states and Washington, D.C.). His statement received applause. Moore also denigrated the Democratic party for supporting LGBT rights.
Moore is remembered for being booted from the state supreme court nine years ago after refusing to remove a monument to the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building. Moore doesn't seem to understand the concept of church and state separation, repeatedly telling his Tea Party supporters how important God is to government.
"Today we've got to go back to that U.S. Constitution," he said. "We've got to go back to the acknowledgment of God for very basic, relative reasons. People have forgotten why we need God. But let me tell you, without God, you have no rights."
Moore is running against Democrat Robert Vance, Jr. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 5 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 11 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM