Ala. Chief Justice Candidate: Gay Marriage Will Destroy Nation
BY Neal Broverman
October 06 2012 6:56 PM ET
Roy Moore, fired from his job as Alabama's most powerful judge in 2003, is scapegoating gays in an effort to get his old job back.
Running to once again be the chief justice of Alabama's supreme court, Moore told a group of Tea Party supporters on Saturday that "same-sex marriage will lead to the ultimate destruction of our country" (no explanation on why that hasn't already happened since marriage equality is legal in six states and Washington, D.C.). His statement received applause. Moore also denigrated the Democratic party for supporting LGBT rights.
Moore is remembered for being booted from the state supreme court nine years ago after refusing to remove a monument to the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building. Moore doesn't seem to understand the concept of church and state separation, repeatedly telling his Tea Party supporters how important God is to government.
"Today we've got to go back to that U.S. Constitution," he said. "We've got to go back to the acknowledgment of God for very basic, relative reasons. People have forgotten why we need God. But let me tell you, without God, you have no rights."
Moore is running against Democrat Robert Vance, Jr. Read more here.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM