Antigay GOP Senate Candidate Blasted by In-Laws
BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2012 3:49 PM ET
Discrimination against LGBT people will not fly among the family of Josh Mandel, a Republican running for Senate in Ohio. Ten cousins of Mandel's wife penned an open letter blasting Mandel for his stances against marriage equality and open military service.
The paid ad appeared in the Cleveland Jewish News. It said that Mandel's anti-equality stances conflicted with the views of his wife's family.
"Your cousins, Ellen Ratner and Cholene Espinoza, are among the many wonderful couples whose rights you do not recognize," the cousins wrote. "They were married almost eight years ago in Massachusetts, at a time when it was the only state in the nation to allow same-sex marriage. Their wedding, like yours, was a beautiful and happy occasion for all of us in our family. It hurts us that you would embrace discrimination against them and countless other loving couples in Ohio and around the country. " Read the letter in its entirety here.
Mandel, the 35-year-old Ohio state treasurer, is facing off against Sherrod Brown in his Senate battle. The race is very close, according to polls.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM