Antigay Pol Announces Run for Bachmann's Seat
BY Trudy Ring
June 07 2013 9:39 PM ET
Rep. Michele Bachmann is leaving Congress, but she may be replaced by someone equally antigay.
The first Republican to announce he’ll seek the seat she’s vacating in the suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul is Tom Emmer, a former state representative and failed gubernatorial candidate with some virulently antigay views.
Emmer last month wrote an op-ed for a right-wing website in which he claimed Minnesota’s marriage equality law amounted to discrimination against those who disagree with it. He also has been connected with a homophobic ministry. And when he ran for governor in 2010, Target and Best Buy came in for criticism from LGBT consumers and allies because they donated to a political action committee supporting Emmer.
Read more about him and other potential candidates at The Raw Story.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- Patrick Stewart: 'Supporting Gay Rights Is Natural'
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples