Antigay Pol Announces Run for Bachmann's Seat
BY Trudy Ring
June 07 2013 10:39 PM ET
Rep. Michele Bachmann is leaving Congress, but she may be replaced by someone equally antigay.
The first Republican to announce he’ll seek the seat she’s vacating in the suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul is Tom Emmer, a former state representative and failed gubernatorial candidate with some virulently antigay views.
Emmer last month wrote an op-ed for a right-wing website in which he claimed Minnesota’s marriage equality law amounted to discrimination against those who disagree with it. He also has been connected with a homophobic ministry. And when he ran for governor in 2010, Target and Best Buy came in for criticism from LGBT consumers and allies because they donated to a political action committee supporting Emmer.
Read more about him and other potential candidates at The Raw Story.
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- Italy: Restaurant Fires Server for Printing Antigay Slur on Check
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- WATCH: Men Claim Mailman Won't Deliver Because They're Gay