Antigay Pol Announces Run for Bachmann's Seat
BY Trudy Ring
June 07 2013 10:39 PM ET
Rep. Michele Bachmann is leaving Congress, but she may be replaced by someone equally antigay.
The first Republican to announce he’ll seek the seat she’s vacating in the suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul is Tom Emmer, a former state representative and failed gubernatorial candidate with some virulently antigay views.
Emmer last month wrote an op-ed for a right-wing website in which he claimed Minnesota’s marriage equality law amounted to discrimination against those who disagree with it. He also has been connected with a homophobic ministry. And when he ran for governor in 2010, Target and Best Buy came in for criticism from LGBT consumers and allies because they donated to a political action committee supporting Emmer.
Read more about him and other potential candidates at The Raw Story.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Michigan Trans Teen Skater's Suicide Rocks Roller Derby Community