Jim McGreevey Heads Back to Government Office
BY Michelle Garcia
July 14 2013 12:55 PM ET
Former New Jersey governor Jim McGreevey is making a return to government office nine years after resigning from the top seat in the state after coming out as gay.
Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop has appointed McGreevey to be the head of the city's job commission, an initiative that fulfills one of Fulop's campaign promises.
The position went to McGreevey because of his work as of late, ministering drug-addicted female inmates at the Hudson County jail.
"We are fortunate to have such a distinguished and knowledgeable individual to lead what is one of the most critical positions," Fulop said in a statement, according to the Jersey Journal. He added, "Having a former governor with 10 years' experience in this field that he is an expert in is a unique and exciting opportunity for Jersey City.
McGreevey, 55, resigned after coming out as gay, and admitting that he appointed his lover to a position as homeland security advisor. His resignation was followed by a bitter divorce with his ex-wife, Dina Matos.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM