Calif. Assembly Speaker Is First Gay Governor (For A Few Hours)
BY Jorge Rodriguez-Jimenez
July 31 2014 3:19 PM ET
Out California Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins was governor for a day on Wednesday, after a series of political absences made her the top politico serving in her state.
Jimmy Kimmel Skype interviewed Atkins who was in her office in San Diego.
“We had another interesting turn of events here in California this week,” Kimmel said. “Over the past four days our state has been governed by four different people.”
Atkins served as acting governor of California after Governor Jerry Brown left for a trade mission to Mexico, Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom flew to the east coast for a Special Olympics appearance, and Senate President Pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg was in Chicago for personal business.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died