Calif. Assembly Speaker Is First Gay Governor (For A Few Hours)
BY Jorge Rodriguez-Jimenez
July 31 2014 4:19 PM ET
Out California Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins was governor for a day on Wednesday, after a series of political absences made her the top politico serving in her state.
Jimmy Kimmel Skype interviewed Atkins who was in her office in San Diego.
“We had another interesting turn of events here in California this week,” Kimmel said. “Over the past four days our state has been governed by four different people.”
Atkins served as acting governor of California after Governor Jerry Brown left for a trade mission to Mexico, Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom flew to the east coast for a Special Olympics appearance, and Senate President Pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg was in Chicago for personal business.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality