Prop. 8 Backers Won't Give Up: File Petition to Stop Marriages
BY Neal Broverman
June 29 2013 7:32 PM ET
Supporters of California's Prop. 8 filed an emergency petition to the Supreme Court begging it stop California from marrying same-sex couples.
The petition comes days after SCOTUS threw Prop. 8 out on a technicality and returned marriage equality to the nation's most populous state. But an antigay group called Alliance Defending Freedom says the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals erred by allowing gay couples to wed before a 25-day waiting period.
"When the Ninth Circuit originally put in place its stay to prevent same-sex marriage pending Supreme Court action, it stated clearly that 'the stay shall continue until final disposition by the Supreme Court,' " the group said in a written statement."Under Supreme Court procedural rules, 'final disposition' comes when the Supreme Court issues a 'mandate' to the Ninth Circuit, at least 25 days after announcing its opinion in the case. The 25-day waiting period is provided to allow parties such as Prop. 8's proponents to petition the Supreme Court for a re-hearing of the case.”
After SCOTUS's 5-4 decision, the Ninth Circuit decided this week to bypass the waiting period and allow same-sex couples to wed beginning Friday. ProtectMarriage calls the weddings "lawlessness."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 13 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 51 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 56 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM