Prop. 8 Backers Won't Give Up: File Petition to Stop Marriages
BY Neal Broverman
June 29 2013 6:32 PM ET
Supporters of California's Prop. 8 filed an emergency petition to the Supreme Court begging it stop California from marrying same-sex couples.
The petition comes days after SCOTUS threw Prop. 8 out on a technicality and returned marriage equality to the nation's most populous state. But an antigay group called Alliance Defending Freedom says the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals erred by allowing gay couples to wed before a 25-day waiting period.
"When the Ninth Circuit originally put in place its stay to prevent same-sex marriage pending Supreme Court action, it stated clearly that 'the stay shall continue until final disposition by the Supreme Court,' " the group said in a written statement."Under Supreme Court procedural rules, 'final disposition' comes when the Supreme Court issues a 'mandate' to the Ninth Circuit, at least 25 days after announcing its opinion in the case. The 25-day waiting period is provided to allow parties such as Prop. 8's proponents to petition the Supreme Court for a re-hearing of the case.”
After SCOTUS's 5-4 decision, the Ninth Circuit decided this week to bypass the waiting period and allow same-sex couples to wed beginning Friday. ProtectMarriage calls the weddings "lawlessness."
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM