Southern Baptists: Same-Sex Marriage Not a Civil Right
BY Trudy Ring
June 20 2012 8:18 PM ET
The Southern Baptist Convention today, at its annual meeting, adopted a resolution saying same-sex marriage is not a civil rights issue.
The resolution, passed nearly unanimously, reiterates the denomination’s long-held belief that marriage is “the exclusive union of one man and one woman” and that “all sexual behavior outside of marriage is sinful,” the Associated Press reports. It also says, “It is regrettable that homosexual rights activists and those who are promoting the recognition of ‘same-sex marriage’ have misappropriated the rhetoric of the Civil Rights Movement.”
The denomination’s new president, Fred Luter, discussed the issue on CNN’s Starting Point this morning as well. He expressed his disagreement with President Obama, saying, “God has specifically spoken about marriage. Marriage is between a man and a woman. That’s biblical. No president, whether it’s a president in the White House, no governor, no mayor, no one can change that. God has already established marriage between a one man and one woman. So I would stand for that because that’s what the word of God says and that’s what I believe in.”
The adherence to antigay beliefs comes as the denomination, the largest Protestant body in the U.S., is reaching out across racial lines. Luter is the first African-American to head the Southern Baptist Convention, which was founded by supporters of slavery who broke off from the First Baptist Church in America in 1845. In 1995 the Southern Baptists issued a formal apology for past support of slavery and segregation. Today attendees at the meeting in New Orleans voted to let member churches call themselves Great Commission Baptists if they desire to do so; this is “an alternative name less connected to the South and the group’s past ties to slavery,” Reuters reports.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 47 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM