On Conversion Therapy, Exodus President Says Sexuality is Complicated
BY Michelle Garcia
July 10 2012 4:06 PM ET
The leaders of Exodus International are dropping their previously held principle that most people homosexual attractions can be converted through prayer, and the president of Exodus disclosed Monday night that he still has same-sex attractions.
Alan Chambers has been one of the faces of reparative therapy and has appeared in ads for Exodus International with his wife, with whom he has two children. However, as of late, the organization has been distancing itself from saying so-called reparative therapy can work for any person with homosexual attractions.
"With regards to reparative therapy, so much of that type of technique and therapy is focused on changing attraction or changing temptation when I don’t find that there is a biblical reality that says people will necessarily change their temptations or change their struggles," he said.
When pressed by Hardball host Michael Smerconish, filling in for Chris Matthews, Chambers said that while his attractions are specifically toward his wife, he does still feel attracted to other men. Chambers contends that saying someone can "pray the gay away," is a lazy way of simplifying a person's sexual orientation.
"I'm not telling someone that is happily gay identified, or gay, or lesbian that they should choose the life that I live, or that God will love them more or less depending on the decision they make," Chambers said. "For me and for people of faith who want to choose to live through the filter of their faith and a strong biblical sexual ethic in that regard, that they have that right to do that."
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 16 min 35 sec ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1 hour 5 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 2 hours 15 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM