Church Drops Boy Scouts Troop Over Gay Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 3:12 PM ET
A church in Delaware that has provided a meeting place for the local Boy Scout troop for four decades has dropped its ties with the Scouts over its recently reaffirmed stance against openly gay troop leaders and scouts.
The Silverside Church in Wilmington, Del., will allow Troop 70, also known as the Peacemakers, to convene at their space until they find a new meeting ground, USA Today reports.
Scout executive Jason Pierce, director of the Del-Mar-Va Council is helping the troop find a new space, but says no other space sponsors in his jurisdiction have dropped out after the Boy Scouts of America reestablished its long-held ban on gay members.
According to the report, about 70% of Boy Scout sponsors are churches, and half of those churches are Mormon.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church in East Greenwich, R.I., ended its charter with the group for the same reason. Meanwhile, Cub Scout Pack 24 in Redlands, Calif., said they will not adhere to the national organization's rules, and will continue to welcome all of those interested in joining the Boy Scouts.
Individually, a movement of former and current Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts have taken a stance against the national organization by returning their medals.
Bruce Smith, leader of Silverside's lay Church Council, told USA Today his church has had a good relationship with Troop 70, but "at the same time, we have what our church stands for. When you're a sponsor, somebody is saying, 'We agree with the other's belief system and values' and that isn't the case anymore."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM