WATCH: CNN Anchor Shuts Down Bryan Fischer's Antigay Rhetoric
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2012 1:51 PM ET
Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association appeared today on CNN, where he was challenged by anchor Carol Costello over his opposition to Mix It Up at Lunch Day in schools across the country.
Mix It Up Day is intended to reduce bullying in schools and increase tolerance by encouraging students to have lunch with people they don't normally associate with. Fischer and the AFA, however, say it's a plot by the Southern Poverty Law Center to further promote a gay agenda in schools.
Fisher warned that the program was a "thinly veiled" method to nomalize LGBT people in public schools. "And to eventually punish students who would express a Judeo-Christian view of sexuality," he adds. "So it appears to be innocent and innocuous on the surface, but the hidden agenda, if you look at the website Tolerance.org, it’s primarily about pushing sexual orientation and acceptance of alternative sexual behaviors in the public school system."
Costello then read a statement that Fischer once made, aligning gay Germans with Nazis. After he tried to explain the quote, Costello said his words could definitely be viewed as hate speech, and cut off the interview.
Watch the heated exchange below:
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- World News Uganda Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill 16 min 56 sec ago
- Books Was Norman Rockwell Gay? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM