Professor Loses Fellowship For Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2012 1:46 PM ET
A professor from the U.K., who was chosen for a fellowship the University of San Diego has been disinvited from the Catholic institution after administrators discovered her support of marriage equality.
Tina Beattie, a theology professor at Roehampton University, signed a letter published in the Times of London newspaper with 27 other Catholics saying that it was "perfectly proper for Catholics, using fully informed consciences, to support the legal extension of civil marriage to same-sex couples." The letter was published over the summer.
Last week, Beattie received a letter from University president Mary Lyons, who said she had to rescind Beattie's fellowship invitation, the Associated Press reports.
"I hope you understand the difficulties associated with this decision, one to which I arrived with great and thoughtful consideration," Lyons wrote.
Beattie asked to reconsider her fellowship at the university's Frances G. Harpst Center of Catholic Thought and Culture, but she said a small yet dedicated group of bloggers pushed university administrators to the decision.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM