Professor Loses Fellowship For Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2012 12:46 PM ET
A professor from the U.K., who was chosen for a fellowship the University of San Diego has been disinvited from the Catholic institution after administrators discovered her support of marriage equality.
Tina Beattie, a theology professor at Roehampton University, signed a letter published in the Times of London newspaper with 27 other Catholics saying that it was "perfectly proper for Catholics, using fully informed consciences, to support the legal extension of civil marriage to same-sex couples." The letter was published over the summer.
Last week, Beattie received a letter from University president Mary Lyons, who said she had to rescind Beattie's fellowship invitation, the Associated Press reports.
"I hope you understand the difficulties associated with this decision, one to which I arrived with great and thoughtful consideration," Lyons wrote.
Beattie asked to reconsider her fellowship at the university's Frances G. Harpst Center of Catholic Thought and Culture, but she said a small yet dedicated group of bloggers pushed university administrators to the decision.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 57 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM