Professor Loses Fellowship For Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2012 1:46 PM ET
A professor from the U.K., who was chosen for a fellowship the University of San Diego has been disinvited from the Catholic institution after administrators discovered her support of marriage equality.
Tina Beattie, a theology professor at Roehampton University, signed a letter published in the Times of London newspaper with 27 other Catholics saying that it was "perfectly proper for Catholics, using fully informed consciences, to support the legal extension of civil marriage to same-sex couples." The letter was published over the summer.
Last week, Beattie received a letter from University president Mary Lyons, who said she had to rescind Beattie's fellowship invitation, the Associated Press reports.
"I hope you understand the difficulties associated with this decision, one to which I arrived with great and thoughtful consideration," Lyons wrote.
Beattie asked to reconsider her fellowship at the university's Frances G. Harpst Center of Catholic Thought and Culture, but she said a small yet dedicated group of bloggers pushed university administrators to the decision.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 43 min 40 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 1 hour 43 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM