Fewer Americans Say Being Gay Is a Sin
BY Trudy Ring
January 11 2013 1:56 PM ET
There’s been a substantial drop in the proportion of Americans who think being gay is a sin, according to a new poll.
The poll, from Nashville-based LifeWay Research, a Christian-oriented firm, showed 37% of respondents saying “homosexual behavior” is a sin, down from 44% in a September 2011 survey. That’s a statistically significant difference, say LifeWay pollsters, who conducted their latest study in November and released the results Thursday.
In the new poll, 45% of respondents said homosexuality is not a sin, up from 43% in 2011, and 17% said they don’t know, up from 13% in the previous study.
LifeWay president Ed Stetzer said President Obama’s May announcement of support for marriage equality may account for at least part of the change in the poll results. “The president’s evolution on homosexuality probably impacted the evolution of cultural values — there is a real and substantive shift, surprisingly large for a one-year timeframe — though this was hardly a normal year on this issue,” Stetzer said in a press release on the firm’s website.
Along with the president’s influence, factors in the change likely include young Americans’ widespread acceptance of LGBT people and the popularity of out celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres, said Anthea Butler, associate professor of religious studies at the University of Pennsylvania. “Who wouldn’t want to take their grandmother to see her show?” Butler told USA Today.
Stetzer said, however, that conflicts over homosexuality will continue. “The culture is clearly shifting on homosexuality,” he said on the website, “and this creates a whole new issue: How will America deal with a minority view, strongly held by Evangelicals, Catholics, Mormons, Muslims, and so many others?”
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 25 min 51 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 52 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 17 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 18 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 59 min ago