Luis León, Inclusive Episcopal Priest, to Give Inaugural Benediction
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 1:09 PM ET
The Presidential Inaugural Committee has asked Luis León, an LGBT-friendly Episcopal priest based in Washington, D.C., to issue the benediction at President Obama's inauguration Monday, reports The Huffington Post.
León, a priest at St. John's Church in D.C., where the president and his family frequently attend services, confirmed to Huffington Post that he would indeed deliver the benediction. León gave the invocation at President George W. Bush's 2005 inauguration, and his church has seen every sitting president since James Madison attend services, according to Huffington Post.
León's parish reportedly welcomes gay members, and the Episcopal Church he works within ordains openly gay, noncelibate priests, has had a gay bishop, and recently announced that it would bless same-sex unions and ordain transgender priests.
CNN first announced León's selection Tuesday, less than a week after the committee's prior selection, Louis Giglio, declined an invitation to issue the benediction after an antigay sermon the pastor gave in the 1990s surfaced. In rejecting the invitation, Giglio cited "those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration."
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 13 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 2 hours 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 2 hours 4 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM