Luis León, Inclusive Episcopal Priest, to Give Inaugural Benediction
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 16 2013 12:09 PM ET
The Presidential Inaugural Committee has asked Luis León, an LGBT-friendly Episcopal priest based in Washington, D.C., to issue the benediction at President Obama's inauguration Monday, reports The Huffington Post.
León, a priest at St. John's Church in D.C., where the president and his family frequently attend services, confirmed to Huffington Post that he would indeed deliver the benediction. León gave the invocation at President George W. Bush's 2005 inauguration, and his church has seen every sitting president since James Madison attend services, according to Huffington Post.
León's parish reportedly welcomes gay members, and the Episcopal Church he works within ordains openly gay, noncelibate priests, has had a gay bishop, and recently announced that it would bless same-sex unions and ordain transgender priests.
CNN first announced León's selection Tuesday, less than a week after the committee's prior selection, Louis Giglio, declined an invitation to issue the benediction after an antigay sermon the pastor gave in the 1990s surfaced. In rejecting the invitation, Giglio cited "those seeking to make their agenda the focal point of the inauguration."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM