Episcopalians Provisionally OK Marriage Rites, Transgender Rights
BY Trudy Ring
July 09 2012 5:03 PM ET
The Episcopal Church has provisionally approved a union rite for same-sex couples and a nondiscrimination policy that covers transgender people.
At the denomination’s General Convention, being held in Indianapolis, the Prayer Book, Liturgy, and Church Music Committee today passed a resolution authorizing provisional use of the rite for blessing same-sex relationships beginning December 2, according to the Episcopal News Service. It now goes to the church’s House of Bishops for further action. There would be further review of the rite before the next General Convention, scheduled for 2015.
“This is clearly a work in process, and there is a place in that process for all Episcopalians, whether or not they agree with the action we are taking today,” Deputy Ruth Meyers of Chicago and Vermont bishop Thomas Ely, chairs of the subcommittee on blessings, said in a press release. Some Episcopal clergy currently perform same-sex unions but must get the language for such ceremonies approved by their bishops; the resolution would standardize the language.
On Saturday the House of Bishops approved adding “gender identity and expression” to the church’s nondiscrimination policy. The move, which still needs approval by the denomination’s House of Deputies, would enable transgender people to be ordained as clergy and would prohibit discrimination against them as church members.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 15 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 26 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 49 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM