Episcopalians Provisionally OK Marriage Rites, Transgender Rights
BY Trudy Ring
July 09 2012 4:03 PM ET
The Episcopal Church has provisionally approved a union rite for same-sex couples and a nondiscrimination policy that covers transgender people.
At the denomination’s General Convention, being held in Indianapolis, the Prayer Book, Liturgy, and Church Music Committee today passed a resolution authorizing provisional use of the rite for blessing same-sex relationships beginning December 2, according to the Episcopal News Service. It now goes to the church’s House of Bishops for further action. There would be further review of the rite before the next General Convention, scheduled for 2015.
“This is clearly a work in process, and there is a place in that process for all Episcopalians, whether or not they agree with the action we are taking today,” Deputy Ruth Meyers of Chicago and Vermont bishop Thomas Ely, chairs of the subcommittee on blessings, said in a press release. Some Episcopal clergy currently perform same-sex unions but must get the language for such ceremonies approved by their bishops; the resolution would standardize the language.
On Saturday the House of Bishops approved adding “gender identity and expression” to the church’s nondiscrimination policy. The move, which still needs approval by the denomination’s House of Deputies, would enable transgender people to be ordained as clergy and would prohibit discrimination against them as church members.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married Anymore 12 min 43 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 48 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 46 min ago