Pro-LGBT Catholic Denomination to Ordain Transgender Priest
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 8:58 PM ET
The North American Old Catholic Church, an LGBT-friendly denomination not affiliated with the Vatican, will ordain a transgender man as a priest Saturday.
Shannon T.L. Kearns will be ordained to the priesthood in Minneapolis, according to a press release. He will be serving a new Minneapolis parish, House of the Transfiguration, after his ordination.
“I am honored and humbled to have my calling to ministry affirmed by the North American Old Catholic Church,” said Kearns, who transitioned while attending Union Theological Seminary, where he received a master of divinity degree. “I look forward to many years serving as a priest.”
Bishop Benjamin Evans of the diocese of New Jersey, who will preside over the ordination, added, “The North American Old Catholic Church looks forward to establishing a presence in Minneapolis with the ordination of Father Kearns. God’s Holy Spirit continues to bless us with growth!”
The denomination combines Catholic traditions and rituals with progressive values and welcomes all people, the press release notes.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 31 min 17 sec ago
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM