Pro-LGBT Catholic Denomination to Ordain Transgender Priest
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 8:58 PM ET
The North American Old Catholic Church, an LGBT-friendly denomination not affiliated with the Vatican, will ordain a transgender man as a priest Saturday.
Shannon T.L. Kearns will be ordained to the priesthood in Minneapolis, according to a press release. He will be serving a new Minneapolis parish, House of the Transfiguration, after his ordination.
“I am honored and humbled to have my calling to ministry affirmed by the North American Old Catholic Church,” said Kearns, who transitioned while attending Union Theological Seminary, where he received a master of divinity degree. “I look forward to many years serving as a priest.”
Bishop Benjamin Evans of the diocese of New Jersey, who will preside over the ordination, added, “The North American Old Catholic Church looks forward to establishing a presence in Minneapolis with the ordination of Father Kearns. God’s Holy Spirit continues to bless us with growth!”
The denomination combines Catholic traditions and rituals with progressive values and welcomes all people, the press release notes.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 50 min 37 sec ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM