WATCH: Mormons March in S.F. Pride, Work to Reconcile Prop. 8 Damage
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 01 2013 4:19 PM ET
As San Franciscans celebrated the court-ordered demise of Proposition 8, roughly 150 Mormons marched in the city's massive LGBT Pride Parade on Sunday to demonstrate support for a community deeply hurt by the $20 million and thousands of volunteers the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints poured into the fight to approve Prop. 8 in 2008.
Following immense backlash from those efforts, the Mormon church has backed off its vocal opposition to marriage equality In recent years — a quiet shift that's made a huge difference in the fight for federally recognized same-sex marriage.
Marching behind a banner that read "Mormons for Marriage Equality" and led by San Franciscan Mitch Mayne, LGBT-supportive Mormons carried signs with slogans like "This Mormon mom loves her gay son," and "I'm not gay, but he is! And I love him!"
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, one of the Mormons who marched in Sunday's parade was Wendy Montgomery, a mom who obediently campaigned for Prop. 8 in 2008, before she knew her son, Jordan, was gay. Today, thanks to now 14-year-old Jordan's honesty and some help from San Francisco State University's Family Acceptance Project, Montgomery proudly loves and accepts her son for who he is.
The Family Acceptance Project, a research organization that helps families from a diverse background of religious and cultural perspectives come to terms with and accept their LGBT children, is set to release a short film chronicling the Montgomery family's journey to acceptance. The 21-minute film recently screened at San Francisco's Frameline LGBT Film Festival, and the touching trailer below has been making the rounds online.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 5 min 54 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 12 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 35 min 40 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 44 min 26 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 51 min 8 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 33 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 5 min ago