WATCH: Despite Pope's Remarks, Cardinal Says Homosexual Acts are Still Sinful
BY Jase Peeples
July 30 2013 2:23 PM ET
During an interview with CBS This Morning, Cardinal Timothy Dolan denied the Roman Catholic Church had softened its staunch opposition to homosexuality after Prope Francis told a group of reporters on Monday that it isn't his place to pass judgment on gay priests, reports Think Progress.
Dolan insisted that the Pope was “articulating… the traditional teachings of the church,” and clarified that the church still believes “homosexual acts” are a sin.
“Homosexuality is not a sin, right? Homosexual acts are,” Dolan told CBS, adding that “while certain acts may be wrong,” the pope “would always love and respect the person and treat the person with dignity and not judge them.”
Dolan, the archbishop of New York and the nation's highest-ranking cardinal, is no stranger to antigay statements. On Easter Sunday, he told ABC's George Stephanapolous that gay Catholics are entitled to friendship, but not a committed relationship. While delivering the benediction at the Democratic National Convention last year, Dolan appeared to pray for divine intervention to stop the rising tide of acceptance for marriage equality.
Watch a segment from the CBS interview below.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM