Former Ex-Gay Leader Rejects Sexual Labels
BY Jase Peeples
August 05 2013 1:07 PM ET
Though he’s been married to a woman for almost 16 years and admits to still having same-sex attraction, Exodus International’s former President, Alan Chambers, says he rejects labeling himself as gay, bisexual, or straight, reports the Michelangelo Signorile at the Huffington Post.
In a recent radio interview Signorlie on SiriusXM Progress, Chambers said, “I am happily married. There’s not been one day in the course of our nearly 16 years of being married that I’ve been tempted to be unfaithful to my wife. I would say I have an orientation towards her. I do have same-sex attractions. But to say I have same-sex attractions would be the same as saying I was a married man with opposite-sex attractions. I am attracted to my wife in every single way that I as a married man need to be attracted to my wife, and our life is amazing. Am I a gay man? Some people would say you’re gay simply because you have these attractions. Some people would say you’re straight because I’m married. Some people say I’m ex-gay because I’m not leading a gay life.”
Chambers also said he believed conversion therapy “sets someone up for tremendous damage” and that it “should never” be offered to minors.
In August last year, Chambers revealed he no longer believed in so-called reparative therapy, and that it was time for Christians to shift from trying to change LGBT people to accepting them.
Listen to the full interview below.
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus 12 min 52 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 13 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 54 min 44 sec ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM