Former Ex-Gay Leader Rejects Sexual Labels
BY Jase Peeples
August 05 2013 2:07 PM ET
Though he’s been married to a woman for almost 16 years and admits to still having same-sex attraction, Exodus International’s former President, Alan Chambers, says he rejects labeling himself as gay, bisexual, or straight, reports the Michelangelo Signorile at the Huffington Post.
In a recent radio interview Signorlie on SiriusXM Progress, Chambers said, “I am happily married. There’s not been one day in the course of our nearly 16 years of being married that I’ve been tempted to be unfaithful to my wife. I would say I have an orientation towards her. I do have same-sex attractions. But to say I have same-sex attractions would be the same as saying I was a married man with opposite-sex attractions. I am attracted to my wife in every single way that I as a married man need to be attracted to my wife, and our life is amazing. Am I a gay man? Some people would say you’re gay simply because you have these attractions. Some people would say you’re straight because I’m married. Some people say I’m ex-gay because I’m not leading a gay life.”
Chambers also said he believed conversion therapy “sets someone up for tremendous damage” and that it “should never” be offered to minors.
In August last year, Chambers revealed he no longer believed in so-called reparative therapy, and that it was time for Christians to shift from trying to change LGBT people to accepting them.
Listen to the full interview below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 11 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM