Former Ex-Gay Leader Rejects Sexual Labels
BY Jase Peeples
August 05 2013 1:07 PM ET
Though he’s been married to a woman for almost 16 years and admits to still having same-sex attraction, Exodus International’s former President, Alan Chambers, says he rejects labeling himself as gay, bisexual, or straight, reports the Michelangelo Signorile at the Huffington Post.
In a recent radio interview Signorlie on SiriusXM Progress, Chambers said, “I am happily married. There’s not been one day in the course of our nearly 16 years of being married that I’ve been tempted to be unfaithful to my wife. I would say I have an orientation towards her. I do have same-sex attractions. But to say I have same-sex attractions would be the same as saying I was a married man with opposite-sex attractions. I am attracted to my wife in every single way that I as a married man need to be attracted to my wife, and our life is amazing. Am I a gay man? Some people would say you’re gay simply because you have these attractions. Some people would say you’re straight because I’m married. Some people say I’m ex-gay because I’m not leading a gay life.”
Chambers also said he believed conversion therapy “sets someone up for tremendous damage” and that it “should never” be offered to minors.
In August last year, Chambers revealed he no longer believed in so-called reparative therapy, and that it was time for Christians to shift from trying to change LGBT people to accepting them.
Listen to the full interview below.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 7 min 43 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 33 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 38 min 34 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 1 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 9 min ago