U.K. Town to Host Pro-Gay Church Event
BY Michael O'Loughlin
May 09 2014 1:55 PM ET
A group of churches in England is banding together to fight homophobia and transphobia, promoting a message of “One Love.”
Eight local churches and LGBT organizations will set up shop on one of Croydon’s main thoroughfares May 17 to show a more welcoming side of religion.
“Unitarians have long welcomed people of the LGBT community into our churches and our professional ministry. This is more than mere tolerance. Our common life has been enriched by the gifts of many who have found themselves outside the supposed mainstream of human sexuality, just as we live outside the mainstream of popular religion,” Art Lester, a minister at the Croydon Unitarian Church, told Pink News.
In addition to the Unitarian church, Quakers and Anglican churches will be represented.
Croydon is located about 12 miles south of London.
Follow Michael O’Loughlin on Twitter at @mikeoloughlin.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment