LISTEN: Tony Perkins Compares Gay Rights Advocates to Nazis
BY Michael O'Loughlin
June 09 2014 7:19 PM ET
Tony Perkins, the head of the antigay Family Research Council, has suggested that a ruling upholding nondiscrimination laws in the marketplace was akin to the systematic murder of millions of Jews, homosexuals, and other European minorities.
“I’m beginning to think, are reeducation camps next? When are they going to start rolling out the boxcars to start hauling off Christians?” Perkins asked last week on his radio program Washington Watch.
Perkins’s guest was Nicolle Martin, an attorney for Jack Phillips, a Colorado baker who refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding.
Charlie Craig and David Mullins approached Phillips in 2012 to purchase the cake. Phillips refused, and the couple appealed to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which ruled that he violated the state’s antidiscrimination law in denying service to the couple.
The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights organization, considers the Family Research Council a hate group because of the misinformation it spreads about gay people. Read more about that designation here.
Follow Michael O’Loughlin on Twitter at @mikeoloughlin.
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- BREAKING: North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban