Canada May Get Genderless Passports Soon
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 09 2012 4:36 PM ET
A new report today in La Presse newspaper in Canada suggests that soon Canadians may be able to apply for genderless passports — some form of national passport that does not reveal the carrier's gender.
“Passport Canada policy in relation to the gender indicated on passports is the subject of a review,” reads the report, and the National Post reported that Passport Canada spokeswoman Béatrice Fénelon said Tuesday that “the policy regarding transgender people is still under review.”
The National Post suggests that Canada could follow the example of Australia, which allows citizens to mark their sex as “X” for indeterminate, rather than “M” or “F.” The issue came to a head last July after the changes to the Aeronautics Act prohibited airlines from seating a passenger if that person "does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents.”
Currently, Canadians — like Americans — can change the gender on their passports only after having gender reassignment surgery, which makes it impossible for many trans people who can't afford or are unable to undergo surgery for other reasons.
The Post also reported that officials in the U.K. are considering a change to their passport process for transgender citizens, and Bangladesh and India allow trans women to list their gender as "other" or "eunich" respectively.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM