Canada May Get Genderless Passports Soon
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 09 2012 5:36 PM ET
A new report today in La Presse newspaper in Canada suggests that soon Canadians may be able to apply for genderless passports â€” some form of national passport that does not reveal the carrier's gender.
â€śPassport Canada policy in relation to the gender indicated on passports is the subject of a review,â€ť reads the report, and the National Post reported that Passport Canada spokeswoman BĂ©atrice FĂ©nelon said Tuesday that â€śthe policy regarding transgender people is still under review.â€ť
The National Post suggests that Canada could follow the example of Australia, which allows citizens to mark their sex as â€śXâ€ť for indeterminate, rather than â€śMâ€ť or â€śF.â€ť The issue came to a head last July after the changes to the Aeronautics Act prohibited airlines from seating a passenger if that person "does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents.â€ť
Currently, Canadians â€” like Americans â€” can change the gender on their passports only after having gender reassignment surgery, which makes it impossible for many trans people who can't afford or are unable to undergo surgery for other reasons.
The Post also reported that officials in the U.K. are considering a change to their passport process for transgender citizens, and Bangladesh and India allow trans women to list their gender as "other" or "eunich" respectively.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 53 min 55 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 1 hour 16 min ago
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 1 hour 23 min ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM