Latina Transgender Organization Gets Death Threats
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 27 2012 2:58 PM ET
Casa Ruby, the only Latina transgender organization in Washington, D.C., whose mission is to serve as a haven for trans folks seeking to escape violence, has been on the receiving end of death threats, according to WAMU, American University Radio.
A Spanish-language death threat was left on the organizations voice mail last week, which, says WAMU's Armando Trull, roughly tanslates to, "You deserve divine punishment and death, but before death you should suffer. You are damned from birth to death."
The groups founder, Ruby Corado told Trull, "I am very upset. This is something that I didn't expect so soon." She's worried, she says, because, "I have been to dozens of funerals throughout this city and I have also been hundreds of times to the hospitals to aid people who have been victims of a violent crime or death for being who they are."
Police officers from D.C.'s LGBT task force are reportedly investigating.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 45 min 28 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 53 min 28 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 10 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 21 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 1 hour 25 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 41 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 45 min ago