Latina Transgender Organization Gets Death Threats
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 27 2012 2:58 PM ET
Casa Ruby, the only Latina transgender organization in Washington, D.C., whose mission is to serve as a haven for trans folks seeking to escape violence, has been on the receiving end of death threats, according to WAMU, American University Radio.
A Spanish-language death threat was left on the organizations voice mail last week, which, says WAMU's Armando Trull, roughly tanslates to, "You deserve divine punishment and death, but before death you should suffer. You are damned from birth to death."
The groups founder, Ruby Corado told Trull, "I am very upset. This is something that I didn't expect so soon." She's worried, she says, because, "I have been to dozens of funerals throughout this city and I have also been hundreds of times to the hospitals to aid people who have been victims of a violent crime or death for being who they are."
Police officers from D.C.'s LGBT task force are reportedly investigating.
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Every GOP 2016 Hopeful Backs Mike Pence
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'