Latina Transgender Organization Gets Death Threats
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 27 2012 2:58 PM ET
Casa Ruby, the only Latina transgender organization in Washington, D.C., whose mission is to serve as a haven for trans folks seeking to escape violence, has been on the receiving end of death threats, according to WAMU, American University Radio.
A Spanish-language death threat was left on the organizations voice mail last week, which, says WAMU's Armando Trull, roughly tanslates to, "You deserve divine punishment and death, but before death you should suffer. You are damned from birth to death."
The groups founder, Ruby Corado told Trull, "I am very upset. This is something that I didn't expect so soon." She's worried, she says, because, "I have been to dozens of funerals throughout this city and I have also been hundreds of times to the hospitals to aid people who have been victims of a violent crime or death for being who they are."
Police officers from D.C.'s LGBT task force are reportedly investigating.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 14 min 47 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 8 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 49 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM