Latina Transgender Organization Gets Death Threats
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 27 2012 1:58 PM ET
Casa Ruby, the only Latina transgender organization in Washington, D.C., whose mission is to serve as a haven for trans folks seeking to escape violence, has been on the receiving end of death threats, according to WAMU, American University Radio.
A Spanish-language death threat was left on the organizations voice mail last week, which, says WAMU's Armando Trull, roughly tanslates to, "You deserve divine punishment and death, but before death you should suffer. You are damned from birth to death."
The groups founder, Ruby Corado told Trull, "I am very upset. This is something that I didn't expect so soon." She's worried, she says, because, "I have been to dozens of funerals throughout this city and I have also been hundreds of times to the hospitals to aid people who have been victims of a violent crime or death for being who they are."
Police officers from D.C.'s LGBT task force are reportedly investigating.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Travel Discovering the Other Baja: La Paz 16 min 57 sec ago
- Politics Dick Cheney 'Suprised' By Mary's 'Attack' Following Sister Liz's Insult to Mary's Marriage 24 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News Knockout Game: Don Lemon Manhandled By Black Belt Rabbi on CNN 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 1 hour 35 min ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 1 hour 47 min ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 1 hour 48 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM