Deval Patrick Administration Sides Against Trans Inmate on Need for Surgery
BY Lucas Grindley
September 27 2012 4:42 PM ET
Yet another important fixture of Massachusetts politics is siding against a trans inmate who wants gender-reassignment surgery.
Both U.S. Senate candidates from the state, Elizabeth Warren and Scott Brown, reacted with condemnation when a U.S. district judge ruled that a convicted murderer, Michelle Kosilek, should be allowed gender-reassignment surgery, which would be paid for by the state that has incarcerated her.
Now Gov. Deval Patrick's administration is also siding against Kosilek, with the Department of Correction announcing it will appeal the judge's decision.
A spokeswoman for the department told the Associated Press that it isn't opposed to the surgery on principle but claimed the appeal is based on "providing certain levels of medical treatment and keeping the inmates in our care and the public at large safe."
Kosilek has taken hormone treatment and now serves among the women's unit, but prison officials have claimed the surgery would make her a target. Some trans activists, though, have said it seems politicians wrongfully consider the surgery cosmetic and unnecessary.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM