NOM Goes After Transgender Students Rights Law
BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2013 12:07 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage is behind an effort to repeal a law in California that allows transgender students to use bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity while at school.
The organization is planning for a ballot initiative in November 2014 to repeal the law through a voter initiative, just as Proposition 8 repealed the marriage rights of California's same-sex couples in 2008.
NOM President Brian Brown said the transgender rights law was "a horrible attempt by activists to strip society of all gender roles and uses children as a weapon in their culture war." He added, "They are forcing our school children to be exposed in showers and bathrooms to members of the opposite sex who claim a 'gender identity' with that sex. This new law doesn't prevent bullying - it is bullying. It is not about protecting kids; it damages kids."
NOM is working with Capitol Resource Institute, a California-based conservative organization, to launch the effort toward gathering a required 504,760 signatures.
Shannon Minter, the legal director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, called NOM a hate group, and said the attempt to repeal this law was "shameful."
Minter told the Los Angeles Times that repealing the law would not change the state's obligation to protect transgender students.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 42 min 20 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 55 min 54 sec ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 1 hour 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 50 min ago